It’s been a while since I have been debating whether paying the premium for organic clothing is worth it. We always want the best for our kids and choosing safe clothing is no different.My initial thoughts while contemplating the same was primarily for the reason that in commercial farming methods used, ordinary cotton contain impurities which could trigger allergic skin reactions in babies and hence, organic cotton should be used to avoid that.In due course of time, when I got introduced to Berrytree India line of clothes, I got to know that there are many more reasons why we should opt for organic cotton only. Berrytree India has a wide range of products available for shopping online and I got this cute whale print sleep suit for V. It totally justifies the reasons I chose to opt for babies’ organic cotton clothing.
- No issues with skin sensitivity – Since baby skin is very delicate, I always make sure the clothes are dipped in water before the first use and soft enough to be worn but with Berrytree India sleepsuit, I was sure to go ahead the first time itself as organic cotton is not machine cleaned with chemicals which helps retain the quality as a finished product.
- Soft and comfortable – The fabric was so soft to feel that I could notice how comfortable V was in her sleep suit. She had a good night’s sleep and woke up counting the number of whales on her suit.
- Bright fun prints – I absolutely love the prints Berrytree India has chosen for its clothing line. The one we got had multiple bright colors making it look fresh and beautiful. V loves the word ‘fish’ and she just can’t stop repeating it ever since she wore this for the first time.
Besides being a happy customer and new consumer for organic clothes, I thought I must share few ways how we contribute to the environment –
- The main benefit of organic materials is that the toxins which are generated during pesticide treatments and genetically modified organisms do not harm the farmers or the wildlife ecosystem.
- Organic cotton uses lesser fuel and energy – so less carbon.
- It is a chemical free process, hence it prevents water contamination as well.
- This could be our contribution to the environment. It helps the consumer to become a responsible citizen who is fully aware about his/her responsibility towards helping preserve a sustainable environment. Organic cotton clothing also serves as a reminder to everyone in the society that anything natural is healthier and also cost effective in a long term perspective.
Hope you too make a wise choice to move to organic clothes and do not forget to check out the wide range of fun prints https://berrytree.in/ have to offer.
Click follow to get more updates –
Murphy’s law is an adage or epigram that is typically stated as: “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong” – Source Wikipedia
So, Murphy has been my best friend since childhood, always making sure if I dreaded something would go wrong, he made sure it did. When we decided to do the first photoshoot for V, she was only 10 days old – we wanted a few pictures of her to be printed in the invitation cards for her welcome party. I was prepared for sleeping pictures but she kept wide awake all through the photo sessions getting really uncomfortable with the idea of clicking pictures. It was tough but we managed somehow. The second time we actually did a shoot, she was about 2 months old. I had many plans with props but little miss V decided to sleep through the whole session. So, we had to make do with available resources at home and get few pictures clicked. Here are few options that you can look at when you are not prepared or have to do a shoot with very limited resources.
We used a black fur carpet and a white fur one-sie , two red balloons with long strings and the picture was taken from the top. You could easily use few crumpled towels for making clouds around to giving it a feel of the baby floating in her dreams in the sky.
Onesie from NEXT UK
White is my favorite color for pictures. It just makes everything look so dreamy.Here, I have used a white blanket as the base and this is just a candid shot while she is deep in her sleep.I regret some happy places few red flowers in the base, they would have created the perfect contrast.
Onesie – Carter’s USA
Hair band: Claire’s
Thanks to the filters these days, you can create the dreamiest of pictures from the most normal photographs. These are pictures from different angles while V slept peacefully.
A basket came super handy when we thought of bringing in another element to the picture. We used the same black carpet, white blanket and placed V gently on the top of the basket which was covered with the white blanket.
Sleep time is the best time to capture these tiny little feet. I have been obsessed with baby hands and feet for a long time ago. The first prints are always special and to be preserved for ever.
The last picture of course, was shot after she finally decided to wake up and pose with us for a few minutes before she called it quits 🙂
I am one of those women who is inevitably drawn to the daintiness and feminity of the late 1800s’ Victorian style. I have always been fascinated with the corsets, big fluffy skirts and the curls. Well, this fascination has been with me for quite sometime – to the extent that I wore a corset with my wedding lehenga as well. I also did a post on Victorian look that i sported to a friend’s cocktail very recently. You can check out the post here –
When we started planning for V’s birthday , we got loads of suggestions on cartoon character themes but we did not pick any of those solely because V was just about a year old and she had no friends of her own to be invited who could enjoy the party. The guest list was filled with our family and friends, hence we decided on a theme which would give a vintage and ornate feel to the whole setup.Though it seems like a Victorian-themed party might be hard to pull off, it could be a lot easier than you imagined. Let me give you ideas and tips on how to prepare for that perfect party .
First and foremost was of course the color code for the whole party and after a lot of deliberation, white/red seemed to be perfect for the evening. We picked the key elements that we wanted to highlight in the decor – Umbrellas, vintage frames, cages, candles, fur and lights. Of course you can make it as simple or elaborate as you may like. The picture above is the entrance filled with inverted umbrellas on the top and candle stands on both the sides.
The pathway was set up with Vintage frames of V’s pictures and small photo frames kept on table covered with fur mats.
Photo booth was a tough choice as we kept shortlisting and discarding several backgrounds with Victorian themes. Initially we thought we could use a flex of a castle as background and few props in the platform but somehow it did not create the right effect. So we ordered a complete fabrication of a chariot with the horse. Few cages were hung here and there and the ceiling was covered with red and white helium balloons with the ribbons hanging.
Then came the cake table and background. I wish I had better pictures for these as we spent the maximum time and effort behind it. The V shaped light inside the vintage frame was made locally to create a 3D effect. I had a huge dilemma on what flowers to be used in the background as roses are the biggest elements of Victorian times but they looked too mainstream to me. So we got in touch with a vendor from another city who handmade flowers which looked something in between roses and carnations and got them sprayed in red, pink and white. The cake table was laid with a Victorian White Lace cloth as the base and lot of silver candle stands, carnations and one huge cake stand studded with crystals.
The cake had to be a simple one, white fondant with red roses.
Our performer for the evening – a Russian flutist was also dressed in a Victorian gown. So were me and V! Check out my Instagram posts and stories for more pictures of the evening at http://www.instagram.com/missvogueviolet
While vacationing with a baby might sound like an oxymoron, good planning and preparation can ease off a huge amount of load from the parents. Basically, if you are prepared ahead of time, it could be a smooth experience. I have traveled with V since she was 3 months and by the time she was 1, she had made it to her 18th flight. It was never perfect but it was never that bad to put my travel life grind to a halt. Here are few tips which can help you on those long flights that you are dreading –
- First and foremost, book the front seat with a bassinet – Lot of airlines do give you the option of pre – booking the bassinet seat online but some could ask you to wait till you collect your boarding pass and request for a bassinet seat at the counter. In that case, it will be based on availability, so it is better to check with the airlines beforehand because once the baby is asleep, you can safely place him/her on the bassinet and give your arms some rest. The crew does not fit the bassinet during takeoff and landing, so you will have to manage that time on your own. Bassinet is quite a boon until your baby has reached the crawling/walking phase.
- Lots of extras – You have to forget the concept of travelling light when it comes to travelling with a baby. Layering is important as flights get very cold after they take off, also if you carry layers,you can take them off in warmer temperatures . I always dress V in light clothes which are confortable while travelling and layer her up as and when required.Hence, you should have space in the diaper bag to fit in those extra jackets. Extra outfits and diapers are a must – you never know when there is spilt food/water or for that matter even poop J
- Medicines – One of the most important things which I never forget to carry. I learnt it the hard way in one of the flights back to India when V threw up for no apparent reason and I did not have the medicine handy. Guess what, I went around asking a few mothers on board and no body had a sickness medicine in their handbags. It was a huge mistake and since then, I never forget to carry the whole set of medicines with prescriptions wherever I go.
- Food and fluids – If you are a nursing mother, chances are you will have a smooth flight. Baby should be hydrated at all times as airplanes can be really drying. If he/she has started to munch on few finger foods or other snacks, please do not forget to carry those with you. I noticed V got a lot more curious about food after we introduced solids at the age of 6 months – I didn’t mind giving her a bite of the food we ordered on the flight as well.
- Things baby associate familiarity with – It could be a favorite toy, a favorite blanket or even a favorite pillow. Anything that the baby is used to and is compact enough to be carried must be in your cabin baggage. I have a particular chipmunk soft toy that V relates sleep with. So it becomes a lot easier for her to be calm and comfortable hugging the toy.
- Plan your travel around baby’s sleep schedule – Fortunately, most international flights from India are late in the night. In the initial days, V used to be in deep sleep in the mornings only, so I used to prefer booking the morning flights for domestic travel. Gradually when she started to sleep well in the night, we planned our international trips with most of the travel happening in the night flights.
- Carrier or stroller – Each one has its own benefits, you got to make a choice. I used to carry V in the initial days but it was a pain to take the carrier off each time during the security Check-ins. Although it is the same for strollers as well but the biggest advantage of the stroller is you can let the baby sleep in a reclining position and keep your hands free. Typically, I use carriers during sightseeing and prefer stroller during flight travels.
Guys, come what may, your baby is not going to behave his/her best while travelling unless you are extremely lucky. Let’s understand it is a change of place and by all probabilities an unpleasant one for him/her. So you will get those smirks, frosty stares and unwanted advice from your fellow passengers but good news is it doesn’t matter. Remember when you traveled during college and there were babies wailing in the flight. Could you do anything about it?No!So do not bother with what others are thinking of you – just try to make the baby comfortable as much as you can. Hope you have a safe flight with your munchkin!
This winter has been very tough for me as far as V’s health was concerned. We struggled for nights with blocked nose, persistent cough and sore throat. I had to do an extensive research on how to deal with baby’s cough and cold , how to boost immunity and how to get rid of recurring flu. While I was not successful in the initial attempts, I learnt a lot through the failed attempts. One of the biggest myths that burst for me was that babies/kids should be kept indoors to avoid any kind of health issue. Contrary to this popular belief, there are in fact hundreds of benefits for kids who play outside regularly, it is also advised that kids should spend more than 3 hours outdoors each day. Some of the reasons why you should let your child spend time outside are listed below –
- Confinement breeds diseases: While rest is extremely important for the sick and we are perennially worried about our kids catching cold when they step out, the reality is virus is easy to catch in closed environments. In open areas, there are lesser chances of kids catching the virus and in open air.
- Emotional and social competencies: Outdoor play has brain-boosting benefits for kids, starting in infancy. It strengthens the language and communication interactions among children who play together in the park. The more they socialize, the faster their learning is.
- Vitamin D Levels : Vitamin D has several health benefits like strengthening bone health which is a key parameter for growth in kids. Since, most of our kids have minimum exposure to sun these days, we try to supplement through food and tablets but sunlight is the most natural and effective way of receiving Vitamin D. Ofcourse, the precautionary measures must be taken for children who get sun burns easily.
- Channelize energy and increase curiosity: Kids come with a huge amount of energy which has to be channelized in a productive way. Kids who are confident about their physical abilities tend to be more positive about their lives in general. When they are exposed to newer things, their curiosity levels rise up, their tendency to ask questions increases and all of this contributes to the overall energy levels of a child.
- Increased attention span : Green outdoor settings always appear to reduce Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder symptoms amongst children, that includes the exposure they get to natural settings through different outdoor activities.
- Concept of leadership and team work – Outdoor play is extremely important to the social development of children particularly for building self-confidence. In addition to it, children also get more empathetic through social play, and they develop more skills for coping with conflict. Group activities also help develop team skills and leadership/moderation skills at a very early age.
- Boosting creativity: Sensory inputs help boost creativity and imagination. It also helps with quick learning – we all know we learn to do by doing and there is no substitute to experience. So, if you touch the sand, you would understand the concept of coarse and fine and there is no other way to explain it by seeing or reading. Hence, we must encourage our kids to step out and enjoy the sun, grass and wide skies.
I would be so happy to receive inputs from other moms who are willing to share their experiences and tricks which have worked for them.
Thanks to all of you for the feedback on Don’t dump that oversized dress yet!I am so glad you all liked it and spared time to give your feedback on how important and easy it is to style a dress with minimal accessories. Since some of you also asked about the natural makeup, I decided to share pictures of the soft makeup look and the products used to create the look . Here you go –
Keeping the eyes sharp with soft golden lids –
Prominent brows and no use of eye pencil/liner on eyelids to keep the soft golden glow –
Smudging the golden liner to create the soft shimmery look without using bling eyeshadow –
Let the sun shine on me!!Pics in the natural sunlight –
Products used –
On the Face
- Neutregena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation in NC 25
- MAC Prep+Prime Powder
- Chambor blush in Soft Rose
On the Eyes
- Estee Lauder Deluxe Compact Eyeshadow – Used 79 Summer Linen on the lids
- NYX 18 Gltizy Gold Eye liner used as thick liner and then smudged with a brush
- Chambor Eye liner in Peacock Blue on the waterline
- Benefit They’re Real Mascara
- Benefit Bigger and Bolder Brows set
On the Lips
MAC lip pencil in Soar